According to the World Health Organization, two hantavirus patients and one person suspected of being infected were taken off a cruise ship and flown to the Netherlands.
It coincides with reports that at least one of the four Australians who were among the 150 passengers on the Dutch cruise ship MV Hondius during the tragic epidemic had returned home.
The ship sailed from Cape Verde to the Canary Islands in Spain on Wednesday (local time).
Three passengers were removed by medical personnel wearing protective gear, according to Associated Press film. Among them was the British physician on board, who, according to Spain's health minister, had been in "severe condition" but has since recovered.
Later, an air ambulance took off.
A medical evacuation plane touched down at Amsterdam's airport later that evening.
According to the WHO, three individuals have perished and one body is still on the ship.
Laboratory testing has verified five of the eight cases on board.
Inhaling tainted rat droppings is often how the hantavirus is disseminated. The Who is top epidemic expert stated that there is little risk to the public, but it can pass from person to person, albeit that is uncommon.
The ship sailed from South America on April 1 and made stops in Antarctica and a number of isolated Atlantic islands. Health experts in Europe and Africa are attempting to identify anyone who may have had contact with those who had previously abandoned the ship.
One passenger who is still on board claims that a group of passengers departed the Hondius on April 23 during its stop in St Helena, a small island in the South Atlantic.
The traveler told the Spanish newspaper El Pais, "There are 23 individuals wandering around there, and no one had contacted them until three days ago."
"The Americans traveled throughout North America, the Australians returned to Australia, and the Taiwanese went back to Taiwan." The Dutch to their houses, the Englishman to England... I can not recall the remainder.
They reportedly included two British males who, after leaving the ship in St Helena and traveling home via Johannesburg, South Africa, are isolating themselves at home.
As soon as they learned of the deadly epidemic on the opulent cruise ship, they reportedly informed local health officials, according to the British daily The Sun.
The UK Health Security Agency stated on Wednesday (local time) that "UKHSA is aware of two individuals who have independently returned to the UK after being on board the MV Hondius."
"At the moment, neither of these people is experiencing symptoms. They have been told to self-isolate and are receiving guidance and assistance from UKHSA.
One guy who returned home last month after traveling to South America with his wife was verified by Swiss authorities to have tested positive for the virus on Wednesday. The infection can remain dormant for up to eight weeks.
After Oceanwide Expeditions, the cruise line, contacted recent passengers about the virus's spread, he visited a hospital in Zurich for testing.
According to reports, he was one of the passengers who disembarked from the ship in St Helena.
The government's main theory, according to Argentine investigators looking into the outbreak's beginnings, is that a Dutch couple caught the virus while birdwatching in the city of Ushuaia before to boarding.
They said that during the excursion, the pair went to a landfill and might have come into contact with rats.
Since they were not permitted to brief the media, the officials talked under the condition of anonymity. The inquiry into the viral epidemic, which can have a 40% fatality rate, is still ongoing.
In the past, authorities claimed that there had never been any proven instances of hantavirus in Ushuaia or the adjacent province of Tierra del Fuego.
The three individuals that departed the ship were a 41-year-old Dutch national, a 56-year-old British national, and a 65-year-old German who would be sent to specialized hospitals in Europe, according to the Dutch foreign ministry.
Two of those transported had hantavirus infections, according to tests conducted in Senegal, the WHO reported on Wednesday.
0 Comments